Goa

Cabo Raj Niwas Fort In Goa – Best Tourism Places In Goa

Cabo Raj Niwas Fort Goa

Cabo Raj Niwas was built in 1540 AD just opposite the famous Aguada fort in its south Goa.

The Cabo Place contains within its premises the Franciscan monastery, which was converted into the official residence of the governor of Goa in 1549 AD.

This was originally a palace-fortress from where you can enjoy the most panoramic view of Goa, enclosed by the Indian Ocean at the west, Bay of Mandovi River and Aguada fort at the north and port of Mormugao in another side.

This palace-fortress has been left abandoned for centuries. It is believed that the isolated site of this fortress brought about the deserting of this citadel.

The uniqueness and beauty of Cabo Raj Niwas lies in its solitude and well-planned features.

There is a small chapel constructed near the end of the mansion, which is dedicated to Our Virgin Lady of The Cape i.e., Nossa Senhora do Cabo.

This chapel used to serve as a landmark for the seafarers.

The Construction of Cabo Raj Niwas

The accurate data regarding the construction of the fort was unknown until a discovered note dated 30th June 1541, showed a proposal to locate a Franciscan priest at the chapel, which already existed.

It was further discovered that in 1540, the 8th Governor, D. Estevao de Gama, proposed the idea of building fortifications at the site with the purpose of guarding the entrance from Mandovi and Zuari rivers.

Making of the Monastery

The monastery inside the fortress was built by the solo effort of Viceroy D. Matias d Albuquerque. D. Matias d Albuquerque was a protector of the transformed Franciscan friar, which was called “Recollects”.

He paid for the entire construction expenses and imposed the condition that Franciscans must look after this chapel.

And in case they need to leave this chapel they must hand over the charge of maintenance to the archdiocese.

The foundation work of the monastery started on 5th February 1594 under the supervision of Bishop de Santa Maria.

The work finished within a period of 6 months, i.e., exactly on the date 14th July 1594.

The building was made of laterite blocks which were abundantly available at the site.

The pits formed out of extracting laterite stones were covered to build cisterns.

These cisterns used to carry rainwater via the sloping roof of the building.

Raj Niwas Goa

Presently Cabo Palace is known as Raj Bhavan. This is the official name given to the residence of the Governors of the States in India. It is the oldest Raj Bhavan and also the finest one too.

The reception area consists of a huge hall named Darbar Hall, which is used during the reception and other official programs.

The dining room has a sitting arrangement for 30 people. The living room for the governor and his/her family are on the same floor.

The verandah of the building runs along the entire portion that gives a panoramic view of Mandovi ay and the Arabian Sea.

The look from this verandah gives one the feeling of being on a ship’s deck. Raj Niwas is the best tourist places in goa.

Features on Display

There are several collectibles that are on display inside the mansion such as, Chinese porcelain, Bohemian chandeliers, and antique furniture.

The most notable among the articles on display are the pieces of antique Chinese porcelain, probably manufactured in Canton.

A worn-out set of crockery is also showcased having a similar design as that of the Chinese porcelain.

All these articles were ordered specially for the use of the Portuguese Governor-General.

Check out this excellent mansion and its collection in Goa. This will make your Goa trip an awesome experience.

Cabo Raj Niwas Fort Goa

Location: Opposite Aguada Fort Goa

Built In: 1540 AD

Significance: Residence of the Governor of the State.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close
Close